Re: Mt 3:2, 4:17, & 10.7

From: Steven Craig Miller (scmiller@www.plantnet.com)
Date: Wed Dec 01 1999 - 16:35:24 EST

<x-flowed>To: Joe Friberg,

<< The citation of Jonah 3.6 below is instructive. Although the core of the
word likely still means 'to near', the context clearly indicates that the
king heard the message; this falls into the 'arrived at' category rather
than the 'vicinity but not yet delivered' category. >>

I think you raise an interesting point here. Kummel wants to suggest that
the LXX translator merely stretched the meaning of the term EGGIZW to the
"marginal case of 'approaching to.'" Although Dodd has suggested that the
author stretched the meaning a little further. If context is the
determining factor, it would seem that "arrived" fits perfect in the
context of Jonah 3:6. But does that necessarily prove that the meaning of
the Greek term EGGIZW had evolved? For, on the one hand, it is not
impossible for a translator of the LXX to misuse a Greek term. And yet, on
the other hand, words often evolve and take on new meanings. How does one
determine if it is the former, or the latter?

I think, whether NT lexicographers agree with Dodd or not, I would feel
better if they presented his position, and then either argued against it,
or accepted it, rather than simply ignore it.

As an aside, I'll mention something that has always disturbed me a little.
BAGD is a lexicon of the NT and "other early Christian literature," but why
wasn't the LXX included? I wouldn't want to belittle the worth of the
Apostolic Fathers, but it seems to me that the LXX is more important to an
understanding of the NT than the Apostolic Fathers, simply by virtue that
what precedes can influence. Also, we know that for some of the NT authors,
the LXX was their Bible.

-Steven Craig Miller
Alton, Illinois (USA)
scmiller@www.plantnet.com

 From Luther's Large Catechism: "Why, do you think, is the world now so
full of unfaithfulness, shame, misery, and murder? It is because everyone
wishes to be his or her own master, be free from all authority, care
nothing for anyone, and do whatever he or she pleases. So God punishes one
knave by means of another" (BoC 386.154).