Re: Mt 3:2, 4:17 & ... (off topic)

From: Roe (d.roe@t-online.de)
Date: Fri Dec 03 1999 - 16:49:38 EST

Steve Puluka schrieb:

> Thank you Gary and Carl for your more detailed posts regarding METANIOA.
>
> >From: "Mr. Gary S. Dykes" <yhwh3in1@lightspeed.net>
> >
> >"Repent" is a medieval creation, and can be misleading.
>
> Another word commonly used to translate this in Eastern Christian writings
> is Conversion. Perhaps this captures the sense of the word better in modern
> English?

Hi Steve and all,

I like the English expression 'conversion' to describe the process of
turning from a sinner to a saint. The only time this English word is
used in the RSV, NASB, KJV, ASV, and such 'Western' English versions, is
in Acts 15:3 ('the conversion of the Gentiles').

The Greek word there is EPISTROFHN. This does not, however, refer to the
process on 'converting' from one thing to another; this is seen when
considering the verb root (EPI)STREFW. (EPI)STREFW is translated from
the Hebrew SHUV (SHUB) in the LXX, and generally means 'to turn'. In the
NT, it does in one passage refer to the converting or turning from one
thing to another, like leaves turning from green to autumn colors (Rev.
11:6 - of water into blood).

The word (EPI)STREFW is often used in a physical sense [e.g., "And the
Lord turned (STREFW), and looked upon Peter..." (Luke 22:61).] In the
moral sense, (EPI)STREFW refers to turning unto 'the Lord,' or unto
'God,' or even 'returned unto the Shepherd and Bishop of your souls.'

I like this concept of turning away from whatever you had faced before,
and turning now unto God. This seem to also be the 'moral' usage of
(EPI)STREFW in the OT [SHUV (SHUB) in Hebrew] as seen in the LXX (these
are KJV readings from the Hebrew):

"Turn, O backsliding children, saith the LORD; for I am married unto
you" (Jeremiah 3:14)

"Return, ye backsliding children, and I will heal" (Jeremiah 3:22)

"...and they shall be my people, and I will be their God: for they shall
return unto me with their whole heart." (Jeremiah 24:7)

"Therefore also now, saith the LORD, turn ye even to me with all your
heart..." (Joel 2:12)

"...Turn ye unto me, saith the LORD of hosts, and I will turn unto you,
saith the LORD of hosts." (Zechariah 1:3)

I like the concept Carl illustrated, but don't know if it really fits
METANOEW. Regarding 'the' meaning of METANOEW, I tend to agree with Gary
that it is a 'changing of one's mind', and is usually translated in the
LXX from 'na(c)ham'. Gary implied that one's METANOIA can be aided by
the Holy Spirit. Acts 3:19 says "METANOEW therefore, and EPISTREFW, that
your sins may be blotted out..." Acts 2:38 says "...'METANOEW, and be
baptized... and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit."
Receiving the Spirit almost seems subsequent, but that would perhaps be
an 'on-topic' discussion of the grammatical possibilities of Acts 2:38,
and not something for the speculations of novice of novices, like me...

David

D. W. Roe
Rheinland/Pfalz, Germany