Re: What is the opposite of a deponent?

From: Daniel Ria–o (danielrr@retemail.es)
Date: Tue Dec 07 1999 - 05:26:54 EST

>I'll also note that although AGALLIAW has active forms in the NT, BAGD
>classifies the rest of them as deponents. Leaving aside whether or not
>"deponent" is a meaningful grammatical category, I wonder are there other
>(so called) "deponent" verbs which in the NT have picked up active forms?

        You are rising an interesting methodological question here. IMO,
Greek lexica should print A)GALLIA/OMAI as the lemma, and the late and rare
A)GGALIA/W as an alolemma (there is another case of active form in the
III/IV century p.C.n. POxy.1592.4 with the spelling HGALLEIASA (sic)).
Since "deponent" is the marked pair of the opposition, the unmarked needs
not an special name, but if there is anytime the need for one tag, I think
your suggestion should be in the list of candidates :-)

Daniel Ria–o Rufilanchas
Madrid, Espa–a

Por favor, tomad nota de la nueva direcci—n de correo: danielrr@retemail.es