KATHAIREW in John 15

From: KAREN PITTS (kpitts@sarnoff.com)
Date: Tue Dec 14 1999 - 11:33:42 EST

Context: I'm currently leading a Bible study on the Gospel of John. We
met yesterday to discuss John 15:1-11. I always have the Greek text at
hand for our discussions.

I don't have my GNT with me, so I'm not sure of the exact verse, I think it
is John 15:2. The verse uses AIREW and KATHAIREW for cutting back branches
that are unfruitful or pruning to produce more fruit. Several of the study
Bibles that people brought to our Bible study mentioned that KATHAIREW is
related to cleansing, by which I assumed they (the study Bibles) meant
KATHARIZW (KATHAROS). I was not comfortable with that statement (in fact,
I said I didn't think it was so), but said I would ask all of you.

Is KATHAIREW is related to KATHARIZW?

And where would I look to answer that question for myself?

EUCARISTW. CARIS UMIN.

Karen

Karen Pitts
kpitts@sarnoff.com