ATTIC VS. KOINE vs spoken ancient

From: yochanan bitan (ButhFam@compuserve.com)
Date: Tue Dec 14 1999 - 10:54:05 EST

i'll add another perspective to dewan's question about the benefit of
learning attic greek.

a comparison:
should i read flaubert and moliere if i want to read hugo? (all three are
french authors)
should i learn to speak french?
i am aware that french 'for reading', german 'for reading', 'X for
reading', is all the rage for US graduate schools. been there, done that.

in the rest of the world, one does not mention that one knows french unless
prepared to carry on a conversation in it. and there is certainly a breadth
and depth in the knowledge of the language that comes with even an
imperfect fluency. (by the way, all adult-learned fluencies are imperfect
and like having occasional background static on your radio. but they
communicate and do much better than having no radio.)

learning a language to a fluent level where one can use it and think with
it is a distinct advantage and i would say a prerequisite for anyone who
wants to invest a life of study in a particular literature.

oh, i've met many arabists who can't speak arabic. a chacun son gout, to
each his own.
personally, i just shake my head inside because they don't know what
they're missing.

once the above is digested, or perhaps for those who have experienced at
least one sample, we can go on to the question about how to develop a high
level of koine greek. for me, high level, means able to converse in, pray
in, and funtion in the language.
NOTE WELL: in any reference to speaking, i am talking about KOINE, ancient
greek, not modern greek.

just for fun, let's not accept something like: 'it can't be done, there is
no ancient greece to visit'.
afterall, there are specialized schools outside of france, russia or china
where one can attend and come out speaking the language.
let me know if someone knows a philanthropist who would like to start such
a place.

errwsqe
randall buth