Re: Philipians 2:11, KURIOS IHSOUS CRISTOS

From: Carlton Winbery (winberyc@speedgate.net)
Date: Tue Dec 21 1999 - 15:48:30 EST

Blahoslav Cicel wrote;
>God bless you all.
>
>In Php 2:11 Paul writes:
>10. hINA...
>11. (KAI) PASA GLWSSA EXOMOLOGHSHTAI hOTI KURIOS IHSOUS CRISTOS EIS DOXAN QEOU
>PATROS.
>
>There is a confession: LORD JESUS CHRIST. There is a verb (to be) obviously
>missing. So, what is the confession?
>
>a) Lord Jesus *is* Christ
>b) Lord *is* Jesus Christ (or in a "nicer" english: Jesus Christ is Lord)
>
>From a number of passages (like Acts 2:36), I think we can see that Paul is
using the three designations that seem to have constituted the earliest
confession, "Jesus, the Christ is Lord." In Paul the terms Jesus Christ
(sometimes Christ Jesus) is well on the way to becoming his name. Where all
three terms apear together, I would introduce the verb to be so that it
reads "Jesus (the) Christ is Lord."

Dr. Carlton L. Winbery
Foggleman Professor of Religion
Louisiana College