Re: Philippians 2:12 - potential reflexive use of hEAUTWN?

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Sun Dec 26 1999 - 11:12:13 EST

Accepting the later emendation of "reflexive" to "reciprocal," I really
can't find anything in what's argued below that I would raise any serious
objection to (that is, that I would object to at all: it seems to me that
every I has been dotted and every T crossed in an effort to word things
carefully and say nothing more nor less than intended). I believe that the
more traditional translations of this verse have simply "Work out your own
salvation with fear and trembling"--and it is true that, despite the fact
that the opening vocative gets translated in a way that makes it crystal
clear that the statement is addressed to the entire congregation, not to
individuals, there is a tendency to understand that "your own" in an
individualistic sense--and I do think it is wrong to take it that way. I'd
agree to the rest of what Mike is arguing here too, that Paul generally
(not always and not exclusively, but generally) addresses himself to the
corporate community and its religious growth or mutual construction (he
does like to use the word OIKODOMEIN for this) rather than to distinctly
private, individual development. I would agree that this corporate emphasis
is pretty strong in Philippians, nowhere stronger than in the earlier
verses of chapter 2 preceding this one. It's also strong in 1 Corinthians,
where much of Paul's rhetoric seems intended to undermine the distinctly
private, individual conception of growth in faith and action. I certainly
don't mean to disparage the importance of personal, individual initiative
for Paul, but I think the corporate emphasis is recurrent and profound.

Carl W. Conrad
cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu