Re: MT 14:27 QARSEITE,EGW EIMI

From: A K M Adam (akm-adam@nwu.edu)
Date: Tue Jan 11 2000 - 09:13:12 EST

<x-flowed>At 4:09 PM -0600 1/10/00, Steven Craig Miller wrote:
>...if one is asking if the words EGW EIMI (by themselves) imply
>"here," the answer must be "no," there is nothing in the phrase EGW
>EIMI which imply "here."

Steven,

The point is not whether the bare words EGW EIMI imply a specific
adverb of place, "here," to indicate "some place rather than
another"; the point is that the idiomatic expression "Here I am" in
English serves as a sort of existential affirmation along the lines
of the more formal "It is I" or "I am he" or "Yes, I exist." Do you
mean to suggest that EGW EIMI can't have the force of "Here I am" in
this sense (and I repeat that I'm not suggesting that this is the
equivalent of EGW hWDE or EIMI hWDE or EGW EIMI hWDE)?

Grace and peace,
A K M Adam

--
Seabury-Western Theological Seminary
akm-adam@nwu.edu

To translate is human; to parse, divine.