Re: Rev 21:3e

From: Ben Crick (ben.crick@argonet.co.uk)
Date: Sun Jan 16 2000 - 17:45:01 EST

On Sun 15 Jan 2000 (16:53:14), alan_hultberg@peter.biola.edu wrote:
> There are two options for the syntax (so also Charles, *Revelation*,
> 2:207-208). Either
>
> 1) the prepositional phrase is the compliment of ESTAI, making AUTWN
> QEOS a pendent nomintative ("God himself shall be with them--their God"
> [or "as their God"]), or
>
> 2) the prepostional phrase modifies O QEOS, and the compliment of ESTAI
> is AUTWN QEOS ("[the] God [who is] with them shall be their God" or
> "*God with them* shall be their God").

 Dear Alan,

 Your option 1(b) seems the most natural:
 KAI AUTOS hO QEOS MET' AUTWN ESTAI AUTWN QEOS
 and God Himself shall be with them [as] their God
 Or, better English, "God Himself, their God, shall be with them".

 This would agree with Leviticus 20:6-7, QHSW THN DIAQHKHN MOU EN hUMIN...
 KAI ESOMAI hUMIN QEOS, KAI hUMEIS ESESQE MOU LAOS;

 and Jeremiah 38(31):33 ESOMAI AUTOIS EIS QEON, KAI AUTOI ESONTAI MOI
 EIS LAON;

 and Ezekiel 37:27 ESTAI hH KATASKHNWSIS MOU EN AUTOIS, KAI ESOMAI AUTOIS
 QEOS, KAI AUTOI MOU ESONTAI LAOS;

 and Zechariah 8:8 KATASKHNWSW EN MESWi IEROUSALHM, KAI ESONTAI MOI EIS
 LAON, KAGW ESOMAI AUTOIS EIS QEON EN ALHQEIAi KAI EN DIKAIOSUNHi.

 I picture John on Patmos without access to the Scriptures, yet hearing
 this thunderous Voice summing up the above prophecies in a new prophecy
 for the New Covenant, substituting LAOI (Revelation 21:3b) for the Old
 Testament LAOS (singular). Thus the prophecy of Isaiah to the Servant is
 to be fulfilled (Isaiah 49:6), echoed by Simeon in Luke 2:32. Not for the
 children of Israel only, but for the Gentiles also.

 ERRWSQE
 Ben

--
 Revd Ben Crick, BA CF