Poetry Translation

From: Steve Puluka (spuluka@hotmail.com)
Date: Fri Jan 28 2000 - 06:32:38 EST

<x-flowed>I began to study Greek this past summer with a purpose. I love the Psalms
in prayer. As a Cantor in the Eastern Christian tradition I lead the
singing of Psalms in a wide variety of services in my native tongue,
English. I have not been completely happy with any of the current
translations that we use in our church. The Eastern Churches take the
Psalms from the Septuagint version of scripture. Hence, I come to Greek
with a purpose.

I am interested in any reference works you may be aware of that discuss the
issues of translating poetry from Greek. I am particularly interested in
the cultural signifigance of various meters used in ancient Greek poetry.
For example, is there a meter that would be associated with comedy or
tradgedy? Are certain metric structures considered "old fashioned" or
"modern" by first century Greek standards? Similar books about English and
Biblical Hebrew verse would also be welcome.

I am interested in commentaries on the differences in the Psalms between
Septuagint and MT versions.

My goal is to produce a translation that preserves the sense of poetry of
the Psalms in a fashion that also works musically in English. I expect this
will end up being my lifes work and perhaps never finished or even possible.

Thanks for the help.

Steve Puluka
Adult Education Instructor
http://arrive.at/byzantinecatholic