Re: Matthew 24:34

From: dixonps@juno.com
Date: Sun Jan 30 2000 - 00:33:17 EST

On Sat, 29 Jan 2000 18:15:37 -0600 Steven Craig Miller
<scmiller@www.plantnet.com>

> PD: << This, coupled with the logical problem of requiring that Mt
> 24:29-31 be fulfilled history and not a reference to a yet unfulfilled
> prophecy regarding the return of Christ, might cause us to consider
that the
> meaning in Mt 24:34 is something other than that group of
contemporaries. >>

> Your statement here doesn't seem to make much sense, at least I
> can't seem to make any sense out of it. No one has suggested that Mt
24:29-31
> was "fulfilled history." In fact, I would think that everyone would
> assume that Mt 24:29-31 has never been fulfilled, and thus it is
obviously a
> "yet unfulfilled prophecy regarding the return of Christ." So what was
> your point here?

If GENEA refers to the generation then alive, then the
PANTA TAUTA GENHTAI implies everything Christ
prophesied in Mt 24:4ff, certainly 29-31, will be
fulfilled before that generation passes away. At
first glance; yea, even after many glances, verses
29-31 seem to refer to the second coming of Christ
at the end of the age.

Yet, taking GENEA as referring to that generation means
we should at least consider taking verses 29-31 as
a reference to the coming of Christ in judgment upon
Jerusalem in AD 70, if those verses are to be included
in PANTA TAUTA GENHTAI.

This, of course, is the preterisit position.

You do see the tension, don't you?

Paul Dixon