Re: Help please

From: Maurice A. O'Sullivan (mauros@iol.ie)
Date: Sat Jan 29 2000 - 07:34:42 EST

<x-flowed>At 22:06 28/01/00 -0600, Mitchell Gray wrote:
>Could someone please translate this for me. It is Ps. 95:6 in the LXX.
>
>EXOMOLGHSI KAI WRAIOTH ENWPION AUTOU AGIWSUNH KAI MEGALOPREPEIA EN TW
>AGIASMATI AUTOU (Ps. 95:6, LXX).

Mitchell:
You have here four nouns, only two of which appear either in a N.T greek
dictionary or the 'middle' Liddell and Scott

EXOMOLGHSIS ( note: you have omitted the final sigma )
= praise of God (so LXX)
and
AGIWSUNH = holiness (Herodian Gr. I 335; 18; schol. [Plato,] Axioch. 371d;
LXX Ps
[ both from BAGD ]

For the other two, I assumed that help would be at hand in the shape of
the Perseus project:

http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/cgi-bin/morphindex?display=SMK&lang=Greek&corpu
s=2.0&author=

which takes you straight to the Morphological Analysis page ( else go
to:http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/Help/index.html and clikc on "Text Tools
and Lexica" [

If you haven't used this tool before, it will be worth your while to read
the help file and, depending on what your operating system is, on picking
an appropriate font.

EXOMOLGHSIS = is listed as "confession of gratitude" which is close to the
RSV "honour"

AGIASMATOS = holiness, IB2=LXX Ps.92(93).5
is the extent of the listing in the big LSJ

To my surprise, MEGALOPREPEIA is not listed.
However, the two volume LXX lexicon by Lust, et al.
Lust, J., E. Eynekel, and K. Hauspie. A Greek-English Lexicon of the
Septuagint. Part I A-I Part II K-W . Stuttgar Deutsche
Bibelgesellschaft, 1992-97.
does list it as: "magnificence, majesty"

Doing a search on this word in the LXX, I find that of the ten occurrences
nine are in the Psalms, and one in the pseudepigrapha "Odes of Solomon"

Thanks for the enquiry --- as usual, in trying to help I learned something
myself <g>
[ oh, BTW, ENWPION is a preposition taking the geneitive, = before, in
front of ]

Regards
Maurice

Maurice A. O'Sullivan [ Bray, Ireland ]