Re: Foreign Language Acquisition

From: Steven Craig Miller (scmiller@www.plantnet.com)
Date: Mon Jan 24 2000 - 16:36:52 EST

<x-flowed>To: George A. Goolde et al.,

<< I was, of course, referring to languages that are not spoken currently
in contrast to those that are. I, like Steven, am aware that "dead" and
"living" are not really fair or accurate labels. I just don't have any
others! >>

I was once told, in all seriousness, by one of my Jesuit professors at
St.Louis University, that one of his professors had once given a lecture,
where half way through he quoted from some ancient Greek source, only to
accidently finish the lecture in ancient Greek. Although I have no doubt
that my professor actually believed the story he told, I've always
suspected that his anecdote was apocryphal. I have been told another
anecdote by a person (I've forgotten the source) who claimed that he had
dinner with two priests who conducted most of the dinner conversation in
ecclesiastical Latin. This anecdote I found somewhat more believable.

-Steven Craig Miller
Alton, Illinois (USA)
scmiller@www.plantnet.com
FWIW: I'm neither a clergy-person, nor an academic (and I have no post-grad
degrees).