[b-greek] Matt 15, Mark 7

From: Gert Young (butabi@lycos.com)
Date: Sat Jan 15 2000 - 20:43:52 EST

Dear list,

Someone asked me about the differences between the Matthew 15:21-28 and Mark 7:24-30 account of the woman with the daughter possesed by the evil spirit. The most obvious difference between the two accounts is the description of the woman as a Canaanite in Matt and as Greek, Syro-Phonecian (hope I got the English spelling right)in Mark. Without reading up on it, my first guess was that it may have something to do with the different composition histories of the two gospels. Could you please give your opinions?

I suspect that the words Jesus speaks to her about not giving the food of the children to the dogs, is a fixed expression (note also that the Matt and Mark expression differ slightly in Greek). Her answer seems to suggest that she is familiar with the expression and hence is able to produce a "quick come back".
If it is indeed a fixed expression, where would you trace it to?

Thanks in advance
God bless
Gert [Young]

[moderator's note: please keep responses focused on the Greek text;
list-members please use a full signature on messages. cwc]

Get your small business started at Lycos Small Business at http://www.lycos.com/business/mail.html