Re: Rev 1:4

From: Ben Crick (ben.crick@argonet.co.uk)
Date: Sat Feb 12 2000 - 20:40:29 EST

On Fri 11 Feb 2000 , dellinn@hotmail.com wrote:
> Also, is 'seven spirits' an allusion to the Holy Spirit or is it
> reference to angels or other created beings? Please give support for
> your choice.

 Dear Dell

 The "sevenfold Spirit of God" seems to me to be a reference to Isaiah
 11:2, KAI ANAPAUSETAI EP' AUTON PNEUMA TOU QEOU,
 PNEUMA SOFIAS [1]
 KAI SUNESEWS, [2]
 PNEUMA BOULHS [3]
 KAI ISCUOS, [4]
 PNEUMA GNWSEWS [5]
 KAI EUSEBEIAS EMPLHSAI AUTON, [6]
 PNEUMA FOBOU QEOU. [7]

 These are referred to in Hebrews 2:4 as the sevenfold "gifts":
 KAI PNEUMATOS hAGIOU MERISMOIS, celebrated in the famous Pentecost hymn
 /Veni Creator Spiritus/:
    Thou the anointing Spirit art,
    Who dost thy sevenfold gifts impart.

 Here is the /Spiritus septiformis/ of the Latin commentators.

 In Revelation 5:6 we seem to have a reference to the seven "roving eyes" of
 the Lord as in Zechariah 4:10, hEPTA hOUTOI OFQALMOI EISIN, hOI EPIBLEPONTES
  EPI PASAN THN GHN, whose glance runs to and fro over the earth seeing all
 and knowing all. These are the eyes of the Lamb, the Messiah, the One
 promised in Isaiah 11:1-5.

 ERRWSQE
 Ben

--