Re: Romans 1:16,17 - The antecedent of EN AUTW

From: Jon R. Venema (104412.344@compuserve.com)
Date: Sun Feb 13 2000 - 11:23:47 EST

Message text written by "Carl W. Conrad"

At 6:12 PM -0800 2/12/00, John Wilking wrote:
>F.F. Bruce tried to make the point that APOKALUYAI TON hUION AUTOU EN EMOI
>in Galations 1:16 should or could be translated "reveal his son to me."
We
>also have FANERON ESTIN EN AUTOIS in Romans 1:19 which James Dunn
translates
>as "is evident to them." The prepositional phrase seems to be equivalent
>the following AUTOIS in the same verse. It seems that EN may have the
idea
>of "to". Perhaps it has this meaning when it is collocated with certain
>verbs.

>>Meaning, I suppose, with verbs of showing? I remain quite unconvinced,
>>although I respect Bruce and Dunn; I could accept "among them" or "in
their
>>midst" for EN AUTOIS, but not "to them"; and in Gal 1:16 I could accept
EN
>>EMOI as "by me" or "through my agency" but I'm not yet ready to accept EN
+
>>dative as expressing a dative of reference or indirect object. Again,
with
>>all due respect to Bruce and Dunn, I'd need to see on what basis they
want
>>to argue that EN + dative in those verses has the force of an ordinary
>>dative of indirect object.

>>Anybody else have some input into this question?

Carl,

What do you make of these references in Zechariah 1:9,13,14,17; 2:2,7;
4:1,4,5;
5:5,10; 6:4,5? All of the references involvl LALEIN with EN EMOI.

An associative idea? The impression, however, comes close to an ordinary
dative of indirect object. Interesting.

Jon R. Venema
Western Seminary

You are currently subscribed to b-greek as: grammata@compuserve.com