Re: Romans 3:21,22 PEFANERWTAI - Verbal Ellipsis

From: Polycarp66@aol.com
Date: Tue Feb 22 2000 - 09:06:10 EST

In a message dated 2/22/2000 8:12:42 AM Central Daylight Time,
parousia_occ@yahoo.com writes:

<< At 8:01 PM -0800 2/20/00, John Wilking wrote:
>Can we read PEFANERWTAI as the missing verb in Romans 3:22 and thus read
 it
>as DIKAIOSUNN DE QEOU PEFANERWTAI...EIS PANTAS TOUS PISTEUONTAS?

 "NUNI DE CWRIS NOMOU DIKAIOSUNH QEOU PEFANERWTAI MARTUROUMENH hUPO TOU
 NOMOU KAI TWN PROFHTWN, DIKAIOSUNH DE QEOU KAI PISTEWS IHSOU CRISTOU EIS
 PANTAS TOUS PISTEUONTAS..."

 (Forgive me if there are errors in my transliteration. This is the first
 time I have posted and I am not exactly excellent at this transliteration
 scheme.) >>

Don't worry about that. I hate transliteration too. I think it would be a
great idea if we would all agree on an common font such as SPIonic (It's
free!) for Greek words. Usually I forget the transliteration and simply look
up the passage.

I'm wondering why it would be necessary to supply a verb here. It seems to
me that

DIKAIOSUNH DE QEOU . . .

is in apposition with

DIKAIOSUNH QEOU PEFANERWTAI

in the previous verse. Thus it would read "God's righteous has appeared . .
.[which righteousness of God?] -- God's righeousness through faith concerning
Jesus Christ to all who believe."

gfsomsel