Fwd: context & exegesis: GAMEO GAMIZO GAMISKO EKGAMISKO EKGAMIZO EPIGAMBREUO

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Wed Mar 01 2000 - 16:49:11 EST

I am forwarding to the list this message from Harold Helm, a recent
subscriber whose first post this is:

>Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2000 12:19:45 -0600
>Subject: context & exegesis: GAMEO GAMIZO GAMISKO EKGAMISKO EKGAMIZO
> EPIGAMBREUO
>From: Harold Helm <sundance@neosoft.com>

>MESSAGE to b-Greek:
>********* ********* ********* ********* ********* ********* *********
>Your help please in understanding the words and their associated PRACTICE
>per GAMIZO/ GAMOUSIN/ GAMIZONTAI Passive Voice EKGAMIZO Matt 22:30
>GAMOUNTES/ GAMIZONTES Active Voice Matt 24:38 GAMHSAS 1 Cor 7:33
>GAMEITWSAN 1 COR 7:36 (please give literal English translation of verses)
>
>GAMEW = MARRIAGE - contract? participants? witnesses? CHANGES in history
>cross-culturally (DEFINITIONS, PROBLEMS of POLYGAMY/POLYANDRY, same sex?)
>per GAMEO GAMIZO GAMISKO EKGAMISKO EKGAMIZO EPIGAMBREUO & any other?
>- One of my favorite courses in law school was "Religious Legal Systems".
>I'd appreciate any ANE to present time scholarly historical references to
>Harold Helm <sundance@neosoft.com> Houston TX USA or phone 1-713-529-2333
>
>What do the words MEAN, in terms of early church practice, per LXX or NT?
>OFF list I'd appreciate any PRIVATE discussion per CONTEXT of GAMEW etc.:
>What evidence or counter evidences do we have, that Jesus, Mary Magdalene
>were married, or that any of the disciples, apostles were married or even
>divorced? WHO gave a daughter or widow in marriage if male relatives were
>all deceased or not present? - When did marriage to the deceased's next
>of kin go out of style and why? What clues do we have in voice, or tense
>etc of the words as to WHEN marriage actually took place? Was it before a
>wedding audience/feast? Or in advance? Upon consumation? TRIAL Marriages?
>What ever became of Joseph, HUSBAND of Mary? Where was he per the wedding
>at Cana? Were the siblings of Jesus ever married or to whom? Any evidence
>or non canonical suggestions that Jesus ever had physical CHILDREN? AGAIN
>please note that questions/answers to this paragraph = SEND HH privately.
>References to Hebrew words or practices? please to: sundance@neosoft.com
>How were marriages of gentiles recognized, if they later became converts?
>GAMEO GAMIZO GAMISKO EKGAMISKO EKGAMIZO EPIGAMBREUO
>

>I seek exegetical help per: more precise historical meanings, even legal
>implications, of the Greek terminology of marriage employed in the NT or
>LXX; I ask list-members to contact me privately: <sundance@neosoft.com>
>Any research suggestions MUCH appreciated.

Harold Helm, Houston TX USA

--

Carl W. Conrad Department of Classics/Washington University One Brookings Drive/St. Louis, MO, USA 63130/(314) 935-4018 Home: 7222 Colgate Ave./St. Louis, MO 63130/(314) 726-5649 cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu WWW: http://www.artsci.wustl.edu/~cwconrad/