Re: ENQUMEOMAI

From: clayton stirling bartholomew (c.s.bartholomew@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Sat Mar 04 2000 - 22:13:05 EST

<x-charset windows-1252>Niel,

Leon Morris (Matthew, 1992, Pillar) thinks that Joseph had already made
up his mind. His basis for this is the verb aspect, but we don't want to
get into that do we? :-)))

Anyway, LS (intermediate) has the following entry for ENQUMEOMAI:

2. to take to heart, be hurt or angry at, ti Aesch., Dem.

Not sure we would want to use this kind of evidence to suggest a
rendering like "While Joseph was fuming about these things" since the
works of Aesch. are hardly the place one goes for NT vocabulary. The LEH
lexicon of the LXX does not show any instances of this usage.

I would conclude that there is insufficient lexical semantic evidence to
support anything like anger here. This suggestion is tempting for other
reasons but this sort of temptation makes it all that more important to
look with care at the lexical data and resist the inclination to play
the role of a amateur psychologist.

--
Clayton Stirling Bartholomew
Three Tree Point