Re: ENQUMEOMAI

From: Steven Craig Miller (scmiller@www.plantnet.com)
Date: Sun Mar 05 2000 - 13:12:00 EST

<x-flowed>To: Charles Skallerud,

<< QUMOS is not restricted to anger or other negative emotions. I happen to
have come across it in Homer lately where it can mean the fundamental power
of life in an individual. Languages have long memories. I think in the
passage it merely refers to the mind reflecting. >>

I guess it all depends on where you were reading in Homer, but QUMOS (in
Homer) can also be used to refer to anger, wrath, indignation, rage, fury,
or wild excitement (so "A Lexicon of the Homeric Dialect" by Richard John
Cunliffe). The fact is that QUMOS has a wide spectrum of meanings, and one
has to allow the context to help determine how it should be translated. So
too with ENQUMEOMAI.

-Steven Craig Miller
Alton, Illinois (USA)
scmiller@www.plantnet.com
FWIW: I'm neither a clergy-person, nor an academic (and I have no post-grad
degrees).