Re: KJV Revision History

From: Carlton Winbery (winberyc@speedgate.net)
Date: Tue Mar 07 2000 - 09:22:37 EST

Rev. Ward Powers wrote;

>We have had a thread about the revision history of the King James Version.
>Before this discussion closes, is anyone able to explain why and how the
>Authorized Version came to have the title KJV in USA? And when KJV took
>over from AV to refer to this translation?

I think F.F. Bruce reported (History of the English Bible) that someone on
the Mayflower said that they brought with them the Geneva Bible because
they did not trust "that lately translated James Bible." The Bible of the
Mayflower Compact was the Geneva. I suspect that what was at first a slur
against the AV eventually became the primary means of refering to it in the
US, sort of like CRISTIANOS.

Dr. Carlton L. Winbery
Foggleman Professor of Religion
Louisiana College