ei=i, (was Accent)

From: yochanan bitan (ButhFam@compuserve.com)
Date: Mon Mar 13 2000 - 02:05:54 EST

<x-charset ISO-8859-1>Perhaps some perennial questions can be cleared up by focusing on one piece
at a time.

Pyle wrote:
>What I suppose that I am trying to say is that because it is not known
>precisely how ancient Koine Greek was framed with the lips, there really
is
>no correct or incorrect way to pronounce the tongue for one's own
purposes.

Well, 'Yes' and 'No'.
The logic of this moves in the direction of saying something like "because
we don't know everything, anything goes".

Actually, we can say things like

'ei' (e-psilon and iota) was pronounced the same as
'i' (iota)
in first century Greek.

This would have been true for majority, common Greek, Greek in Judea, and
even Greek among the educated classes.
Thus, Paul, Gamliel, Josephus, the disciples and Jesus, Epictetos,
"Apostolic fathers".

Anybody seriously disagree?

errwsqe
Randall Buth