Re: 1Pet.1:17

From: Polycarp66@aol.com
Date: Sun Mar 19 2000 - 07:08:59 EST

In a message dated 3/18/2000 2:07:17 PM Central Daylight Time,
reznik1@juno.com writes:

<< I have a question about using EPIKALEOMAI in 1Pet 1:17.
 KAI EI PATERA EPIKALEISQE TON ... KRINONTA ...
 How should it be translated? Does the verb mean "to name" or "to call
 upon"?
 If "to name" is correct, should it be understood as "if you call the one
 who ... judges father ..."? And if "to call upon" is correct, should it
 be understood as "if you call [upon someone] as Father who judges..." or
 "if you call upon the one who judges ... as Father"?

I think you need to take the range of meanings which have been found to be
applicable to a term in various contexts and determine what best fits the
context with which you are dealing. In this case I would be inclined to
choose a term which approaches the concept of "to invoke." If I may
paraphrase for the sake of clarity, this becomes

If the one you call upon as your father is the one who is a strictly
impartial judge and examines your deeds, you have reason to be afraid.

The following verseS, however, contrast with this position.

EIDOTES OTI OU FQARTOIS, ARGURIWi H XRUSIWi, ELUTRWQHTE EK THS MATAIAS hUMWN
ANASTROFHS PATROPARADOTOU ALLA TIMIWi hAIMATI hWS AMNOU KAI ASPILOU XRISTOU

In other words,

"If you invoke a Father who impartially judges each according to his works,
you live your life [the time of your sojourn] in fear. You know that you were
freed from your vain traditional behavior, not with fleeting silver or gold,
but with the precious blood of Christ as of a lamb without spot and blemish."

gfsomsel