RE: Was: "a question from a novice"

From: Bill Ross (wross@farmerstel.com)
Date: Tue Mar 21 2000 - 17:16:27 EST

<x-charset iso-8859-1><Wayne>
What's the difference between English "purchase" and "buy"? Do you use both?

<Bill>
Certain elements of "purchase" overlap with the semantic range of "buy", but
others are distinct. For example, one might "buy a story" meaning that one
believes while one would "purchase a story" if one was a publisher. "Buy"
has synonmyns listed that are not appropriate for "purchase" such as "bribe"
and "believe".

A thesaurus is helpful at pointing out the subtle shades of meaning of words
that can be legimately called synonmyns.

<Wayne>
There is *no* proof that AGAPAW and FILEW are used with difference semantics
in the N.T. We are skating on thin ice if we try to find such differences
simply because two such different words to exist concurrently.

<Bill>
I think the data has not been sufficiently digested to say that it has been
proved that no such differences in usage exist.

Bill Ross
http://members.xoom.com/woundedego