Re: 1Cor 1:24

From: Daniel L Christiansen (dlc@multnomah.edu)
Date: Sun Mar 26 2000 - 19:13:58 EST

Dmitriy Reznik wrote [snipped]:

> Could you tell me if CRISTON QEOU DUNAMIN KAI QEOU SOFIAN
> is to be translated as "[We preach] Messiah the power of God,
> and the wisdom of God" or "Messiah as the power of Cod etc."

        Here, apparently, we have a textual witness for the fish being an early
Christian symbol; however, I am not certain what to make of the fact
that it is an ocean fish mentioned. Perhaps this is a separate tradition,
from the coastal areas, rather than from Galilee?

> I have a difficulty with this because there is no
> article before "power" and "wisdom".

        All kidding aside: I am not certain that a positive choice can be made
for either rendering. Whether DUNAMIN and SOFIAN are retained objects,
or are the objects of an implied hOS ESTIN, it seems to me that the
article would not be required.

--
Daniel L. Christiansen
Department of Bible