Re: APOSTOLOI KAI PROFHTAI Eph 2:20, 3:5

From: Theodore H Mann (thmann@juno.com)
Date: Wed Mar 29 2000 - 07:55:19 EST

Blaho:

I think the answer to your concern lies in the realm of Bible
interpretation, not Greek grammar, though others are far better qualified
to answer that question than I. I make the following observations:

(1) There were more apostles than original twelve: Matthias (Acts 1:26),
Barnabas (Acts 14:14), James (Gal.1:19), Andronicus and Junas (Rom.16:7,
depending on how you read this verse), Silas (1 Thess.2:6--Silas was
Paul's companion when in Thessalonica [ Acts 17:10] ).

(2) Because Eph.3:5 says that the mystery of Christ (v4) "has NOW been
revealed" (that is, during NT times), and because God's household (2:19)
has Christ Jesus as the corner stone (v20), with the prophets as part of
the foundation, I opt for the second of your options: that is, that this
refers to NT prophets.

Best.

Ted

Dr. Theodore "Ted" H. Mann / thmann@juno.com
Fax and Voice Mail: 1-562-750-5242
http://www.homestead.com/ChristianResourcesLinks/index.html
http://www.homestead.com/eLOGOS/index.html
http://www.homestead.com/eIXQUS/index.html

On Wed, 29 Mar 2000 08:52:16 +0200 "Blahoslav Cicel" <most@cb.cz> writes:
> Hello list
>
> I have a question about the use of PROFHTAI in Eph 2:20 and 3:5.
> There is a
> phrase APOSTOLOI KAI PROFHTAI in both verses. The APOSTOLOI is clear
> - the
> Twelve, but what about the PROFHTAI.
>
> There are two hypotheses:
> - the OT prophets (as 2Pt 3:2 uses PROFHTAI KAI APOSTOLOI)
> - the NT recently born christian church prophets (as Jesus in Mt
> 23:34 or Lk
> 11:49 uses them)
>
> My question is:
> Is there any hint in the text (in the greek), esp. in 3:5, which
> could give
> preference to one of those hypotheses? (YES/NO).
>
> If YES, what in the text gives preference to which hypotheses and
> why?
> If NOT I will ask later some questions about the structure of 3:5 to
> be sure
> of this answer.
>
> Disclaimer: I have no intention to discuss prophets in the today´s
> church...
>
> Thanks,
>
> Blaho, pastor in the North of Bohemia
>

> ---