Re: Pasting in Greek text from software

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Mon Apr 10 2000 - 13:38:12 EDT

<x-charset iso-8859-1>At 11:16 AM -0500 4/10/00, Harold R. Holmyard III wrote:

>Luke 15:25 ?Hn de´ oJ uiöo\þ aujtouv oJ presbu/teroþ eôn a²grwñ×: kai´ wïþ
>eôrco/menoþ h°ggisen thÿv oiôki—añ, h°kousen sumfwni—aþ kai´ corw×n,

I don't mean to single out Harold here--he just exemplifies the practice
and problem in this instance, but it's something we've had occasion to take
note of before. The above appears as gobbledygook on my screen and
presumably on the screens of others who don't use the same operating system
and/or the same Greek font from the same Bible program. Although I wish we
could all avail ourselves of a single Greek font that would show up the
same way on all our screens, we're still some distance from that point. And
although we don't prescribe any single pattern of ASCII transliteration
that B-Greekers must follow, we do make some recommendations in the FAQ
that went out to all subscribers upon their joining B-Greek and that are
accessible at the B-Greek home page:

        http://metalab.unc.edu/bgreek/faq.txt

The transliteration scheme most widely used here is even laid out in a neat
diagram that Jonathan Robie has drawn up right on the main home page:

        http://metalab.unc.edu/bgreek/

We realize that one or more characters in this transliteration alphabet
differ from the Greek font that any one of us uses regularly (half a dozen
of the characters here are different from the "Kadmos" font which I
regularly use), but using a transliteration scheme that is readily
intelligible to others does make it easier to understand what others are
saying about particular Greek passages when the Greek is cited. And,
speaking only for myself, I really like to have the text of the passage
under discussion directly in front of me when I'm reading what another says
or when I'm responding to a question.

I would therefore urge B-Greekers to make it easier for us when citing
Greek: use a transliteration scheme rather than pasting in from a passage
summoned up in a Bible software program. Thanks.

--
Carl W. Conrad
Co-Chair, B-Greek List