Re: Rom 1:1 KLHTOS APOSTOLOS

From: Polycarp66@aol.com
Date: Sun Apr 09 2000 - 15:03:40 EDT

In a message dated 4/9/2000 7:28:27 AM Central Standard Time,
scmiller@www.plantnet.com writes:

<< << After many unsuccessful attempts I do not look down on any effort.
Still
 I have to say that 'guest delegate' sounds like a UNESCO position or
 something. I know what you mean and others in this discussion know what you
 mean, but I am afraid it doesn't fly. >>

 IMO, sounding like a "UNESCO position or something" is a step forward. And
 so IMO "delegate" is an improvement over "apostle."

 But as for the translation "guest," I'm not as certain. The traditional
 interpretation of KLHTOS has been that Paul was called by God to be an
 apostle/delegate, whereas translating KLHTOS as "guest" offers different
 possibilities, perhaps KLHTOS means that Paul was a "delegate" to and not
 from the Gentiles.

 The point of using the same term (KLHTOS) in verses 6 & 7 might be that
 just as Paul is a "guest" among the Gentiles, so too the believers in Rome
 are "guests" of Jesus Christ, his "sacred guests."

 Criticisms and/or suggestions are welcome. >>

Personally, I agree that it won't fly. I don't even think that it's an
improvement. Stick to apostle and baptism. Everyone understands that. Oh,
so you want to define the term a bit to give some understanding of the
concept lying behind it? A laudable goal. I suggest a note.

gfsomsel