Re: Rom 1:1 KLHTOS APOSTOLOS

From: Carlton Winbery (winberyc@speedgate.net)
Date: Tue Apr 11 2000 - 21:26:14 EDT

Gary Dykes wrote;
>Your proposal is certainly better than adding a "to be" as in some English
>translations. Am I correct in suggesting that like "DOULOJ" that both
>"KLHTOJ" and APOSTOLOJ" can be either a noun or an adjective? I know what
>the literature says, along with nearly all known dictionaries, but I want
>your personal input.

Yes, I think so as any adjective can be used as a noun, but it is rare
without the article in front but not unheard of. Any noun can modify by
being in apposition or by being in a situation to understand a predicative
relationship. The more common use of a noun to modify is to use the
genitive case as with Cristou IU (Christ's slave), but you are correct as
far as possibilities are concerned. I also agree about the parallelism of
the three elements in this verse, "Paul, Christ's slave, called apostle,
and set apart for . . ."

Dr. Carlton L. Winbery
Foggleman Professor of Religion
Louisiana College