Re: Ephesians 4:26

From: Polycarp66@aol.com
Date: Thu Apr 13 2000 - 18:02:31 EDT

In a message dated 4/13/2000 6:09:48 AM Central Standard Time, mauros@iol.ie
writes:

<<
 There are many exceptions to this twofold "flavor" of the imperative in
 actual usage, although in almost every instance the rhetorical power of the
 imperative is still felt. Thus, when Paul says, "If the unbeliever departs,
 let him depart (XWRIZESQW_" (1 Cor 7:15), the permissive imperative is more
 strongly addressed to the heart than if he had said, "If the unbeliever
 departs, that is OK!" In Jas 4:7 the conditional imperative has not lost
 its injunctive flavor: "If you resist (ANTISTHTE) the devil-and you
 should!-he will flee from you." Technically, then, it is not best to call
 this the mood of command because it may be used for other than a command.
 But that volitional force is nevertheless still lurking beneath the
 surface, even when the speaker is not barking orders. <<

 He further says:
>>4. Permissive Imperative (Imperative of Toleration)
 a. Definition
 The imperative is rarely used to connote permission or, better, toleration.
 This usage does not normally imply that some deed is optional or approved.
 It often views the act as a fait accompli. In such instances, the mood
 could almost be called "an imperative of resignation." Overall, it is best
 to treat this as a statement of permission, allowance, or toleration. The
 connotations of "permission" are usually too positive to convey adequately
 the nuances involved in this type of imperative.>> >>

Frankly, regardless of how esteemed he may be, I think Wallace is simply
wrong here. I don't think there is any such think as a "permissive"
imperative. To paraphrase Gertrude Stein, "An imperative is an imperative,
is an imperative." He doesn't say "You may let him go." He says, "Let him
go!" The command has nothing to do with whether it is proper for him to go,
but with the reaction of the believer. I think he's allowing his theology
(and I would agree with upholding the sanctity of marriage) interfere with
his Greek studies.

gfsomsel