Re: Latin in Barnabas

From: Bart Ehrman (behrman@email.unc.edu)
Date: Thu Apr 20 2000 - 08:20:42 EDT

   Lake is following the old tradition of not offending the sensitivies of
English readers, a tradition widespread among translators of the 19th
century (his Loeb translation of course was 1912-13) and seen for example
in passages (*long* ones) in the ANF (e.g., in Clement of Alexandria's
STromateis). THe idea was that if a text was highly charged in terms of
sexual content, it was to be rendered into Latin to prevent offence but to
allow scholars access to it. (In this case, I believe, Lake didn't
translate into Latin but used the surviving Latin version; the editors'
later English translation, I might add, is none too good -- completely
misses the point about the rabbit!)

   It's a terrific question you've asked though. Does anyone know more
about when the practice began and if there is any explicit discussion of
it among 19th century (or earlier) English translators?

-- Bart Ehrman