Re: Mark 15:34

From: roseann (roseann@Intellisys.net)
Date: Thu Apr 20 2000 - 20:55:23 EDT

<x-charset iso-8859-1>

>Dear Roseann,
> It has been some time since I studied Jesus' Aramaic quotation of Ps
>22:1, but I remember finding Mr. Lamsa's translation a tendentious one. The
>Aramaic $-B-Q (yielding SABACQANI in Mk 15:34) means in BDB "leave, let
>alone." Now, "leave, let alone" might allow a translation "spare," but it
>need not. I cannot remember the details right now, but I thought that Mr.
>Lamsa was wrong.
> Delitzsch says that SABACQANI is equivalent to $:BAQ:T.ANIY in Aramaic
>(the second person singular perfect verb with a first singular suffix).
>This looks just like Lamsa's shabakthani. And Delitzsch states that the
>Aramaic is equivalent to the Hebrew at Ps 22:1 (which is equivalent to "you
>have forsaken me").
> Delitzsch adds that Jesus spoke in Aramaic "not in order that all may
>understand it,-- for such a consideration was far from his mind at such a
>time,-- but because the Aramaic was His mother tongue, for the same reason
>that He called God )AB.F) ('Abba') in prayer."
>
> Yours,
> Harold Holmyard

Hi Harold,
Thank you. Yes, whenever I read Lamsa's version I only do so for comparison
curiosity. Since I believe in the plenary verbal inspiration I wouldn't
accept anything seriously except that taken from the Hebrew or Greek (with
exception to those passages where the writer records the other). In asking
a friend to critique a comment from Glassman this is what I found: At Matt.
27:46 and Mark 15:34 the LXX reads: "My God, my God, look thou upon me, why
has thou forsaken me?" The phrase "look thou upon me" is not found in the
Hebrew text but was added by the LXX translators. But both Matthew and Mark
prefer to ignore the Greek (LXX) translation of the Psalm already available
to them and offer their own slightly different but adequate literal
renderings into Greek." (My friend noted in the margin that they quoted
Jesus, not the LXX.)

Are you (or anyone on here) familiar with "The Translation Debate - What
Makes a Bible Translation Good?" by Eugene H. Glassman? One of his chapters
has helped me in understanding the two different approaches in translating -
form vs. content - Dynamic Equiv. and Lexical Equiv. and has dispelled my
prejudice somewhat about the meaning of "paraphrases," but I'm wondering
what you all would say about his book.
God bless,
Roseann Ekman
Thomas St. Church of Christ