Re: Machine readable Abbot-Smith?

From: Rodney J. Decker (rdecker@bbc.edu)
Date: Fri Apr 28 2000 - 07:08:49 EDT

<x-flowed>At 05:13 PM 4/27/00 -0700, you wrote:
>>>I notice that there was an edition of Abbot-Smith's lexicon in 1922, and
>>>there was a 3rd edition in 1937. Does that mean that at least these
>>>editions are no longer under copyright?
>>>Does anyone know if there is a machine-readable version of this?
>>
>>Do you mean a clean copy that could be scanned? Or are you asking if
>>someone has already done the scanning and has an electronic copy?

T&T Clark's catalog lists a new paperback printing. Does anyone have one of
these newest printings to see what copyright claim it may contain?

As for scanning it, what a task! xiv + 512 pgs., probably in excess of
6,000 individual entries, multiple fonts (Gk, Heb, Eng), superscripts,
fractions, etc. It took a large team at Dallas Seminary several years to
get BAG into that format (for the now defunct CD Word--incorporated into
Logos now). A-S wouldn't be quite as imposing a task, but still a lot of
work. A graphic scan, of course, would just be a lot of time, but to
convert it to something useable otherwise... I would love to see it freely
available on the web with some sort of search capability, but who that is
qualified to edit such a work would have the time and resources to devote
to it? I hope someone does, but I'm not optimistic--unless Jonathan's
original query was wondering if it was a feasible project for him to
tackle. If so, by all means pursue it Jonathan! The most likely scenario is
that someone like Logos (who has the technical resources and experience to
do so) would pick it up and then sell it in their proprietary format.

Rodney J. Decker, Th.D. Baptist Bible Seminary
Assoc. Prof./NT PO Box 800, Clarks Summit, PA 18411
rdecker@bbc.edu http://faculty.bbc.edu/rdecker/
The *Resources for NT Study* site is accessible at:
http://faculty.bbc.edu/rdecker/rd_rsrc.htm