Re: Present Participle and Faith

From: Emory Pitts (emory2002@hotmail.com)
Date: Sun May 21 2000 - 12:27:13 EDT

<x-flowed>
Restricting my brief comment to GJn, I believe the nature of PISTEUW is
indeed germane to this discussion.

This discussion, as Carl has observed, can quickly escalate beyond
appropriate discourse in B-Greek. So I would like to simply make the
following observation regarding PISTEUW used in John 16. Forgive me if this
steps a trifle over the line.

Oddly enough, although there are opposite theological positions on the
larger topic of PISTEUW as it relates to "salvation," I believe BOTH
extremes have overlooked a critical distinction made by John in Chap. 16
verse 8:

KAI ELQWN EKEINOS ELEGXEI TON KOSMON PERI hAMARTIAS

To which John adds in verse 9:

PERI hAMARTIAS MEN hOTI OU PISTEUOUSIN EIS EME

Here, when that one comes, he will "reprove" the world of sin. Which is to
say that this reproving is supernatural (done by "that one," the Spirit). So
"to PISTEUW or not to PISTEUW" (ah, there's the rub) is in response to being
supernaturally reproved or convinced of sin.

Hence, regarding the nature of PISTIS, how can one cease to believe (OU
PISTEUOUSIN) in something (EIS EME) he or she was supernaturally (ELQWN
EKEINOS) convinced (ELEGXEI) of?

This is what I believe both sides of this discussion overlook: the
supernatural dimension to PISTEUW.

You may choose to stop believing in Santa Claus, but how can one stop
believing in something he or she was supernaturally convinced of?

Sorry, I hope this was appropriate to the discussion, since PISTEUW, in the
GJn, must be fleshed out.

hH CARIS MEQ hUMWN,

Mark Wilson