Re: Translation: Glossing, Domains, Arguments

From: Kimmo Huovila (kimmo.huovila@helsinki.fi)
Date: Mon May 22 2000 - 09:36:53 EDT

I wonder if translation is necessary for exegesis. After all, if one
wants to make a good translation, one has to consider target language
peculiarities that are outside of the realm of exegesis proper. An
exegesis is complete when one has explained the original text regardless
of any problems in translation. Of course, if one wants to make an
exegesis with no translation in the process, that requires thinking in
Greek (in the case of the NT), but not to the degree that it would be
practically impossible. Should we perhaps encourage separating
translation from exegesis to underline the difference between the two?

Kimmo