Re: 1Cor 8:4

From: Mike Sangrey (mike@sojurn.lns.pa.us)
Date: Wed May 31 2000 - 07:39:02 EDT

"Carl W. Conrad" <cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu> said:
> Text: OIDAMEN hOTI OUDEN EIDWLON EN KOSMWi KAI hOTI OUDEIS QEOS EI MH
> hEIS.

> I quite agree with Harold that the two clauses are parallel and that
> therefore the KAI is simply a connector: each clauses is introduced by
> hOTI because each is a distinct object of OIDAMEN: Paul is setting
> forth the presuppositions of his argument.

Ah, yes!, of course...now that I see the full text in front of me.
       Verb...hOTI phrase...KAI...hOTI phrase.

A loud THANK YOU to both Harold and Carl.

I wouldn't have replied to this other than to underscore the request Carl has
made many times to include the text. Most of the text WAS included in the
original note, but not quite enough of it to prevent me from walking into it
face first (ouch). So, I unwisely proceeded without consulting my GNT and
missed the obvious parallelism. Perhaps I've learned, but as a friendly
reminder to us all: please include enough of the text to indicate the
natural structure.

Thanks again.

--
Mike Sangrey