Re: TEACHING "RAPID GREEK READING"

From: Michael Hildenbrand (hildenbr@Haas.Berkeley.EDU)
Date: Wed May 31 2000 - 15:00:55 EDT

Cal,
        I haven't taught one, but took a rapid reading class as an
undergrad. If you are going to have *rapid* reading, you should be
prepared to have them read *lots* of Greek. You shouldn't try to analyze
the sentences to death, force them to parse every form, etc. The emphasis
should be on speed. In my course we did the whole NT (except for John and
Matthew) in two semesters. Now some chapters went slower
(Luke/acts/Hebrews), but others went faster. In some books we covered two
chapters in an hour class. You can guess we did not go into detail on the
material. You want (I hope) your students to get *comfortable* with Greek
and to be able to read it easily. We were also tested out of Metzger's
lexical aids every day during one semester, and Muller's book the next
semester. As a result, I could read Greek just about anywhere
comfortably, if I was familiar with the vocabulary. When I dipped into
the papyri, LXX, and Josephus, etc., there was more vocabulary I needed to
pick up, but often I could read most of a chapter without having to look
up words and/or forms.

Michael