EN PASHi KTISEI

From: Harold R. Holmyard III (hholmyard@ont.com)
Date: Sun Jun 04 2000 - 22:03:50 EDT

Dear Mark,
     You write:

>Col. 1:23

>TOU KHRUCQENTOS EN PASHi KTISEI THi hUPO TON OURANON

>It is a trifle hard for me to believe that the gospel had been preached to
>every creature or in all creation. But not only does Paul seem to say
>that, he even seems to qualify it further with THi hUPO TON OURANON.

>Is it significant that PAS is singular?

>I assume it is not to be taken ìliterallyî as the English translations
>render it, for example:

>ìwhich was preached to every creature under heaven.î (NKJV)

>How would one translate this?

A lexicon will tell you that the word KTISIS can mean "creation" or
"creature"; so context is important. Here your own reasoning suggests one
good reason why it is "creation" not "creature." The word EN is also
suggestive to me. If Paul had in mind a person, you would expect him to use
something like a simple dative. EN suggests a geographical area.

                                Yours,
                                Harold Holmyard