Re: The Homeric Epics and the Gospel of Mark

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Mon Jun 05 2000 - 11:04:26 EDT

At 9:37 AM -0500 6/5/00, Eric S. Weiss wrote:
>I unfortunately know nothing of Homer and Odysseus, but I know several on
>this list might be interested in this new book which claims a surprising
>dependence by GMark on The Odyssey:
>
>The Homeric Epics and the Gospel of Mark
>by Dennis R. MacDonald
>Yale University Press, May 2000

I thank Eric for calling this to our attention. I guess I'll have to read
it and shall order it immediately (perhaps it'll get to my NC address by
the time I get there from my brief respite back in St.Louis). It does seem
pretty far-fetched and the credentials of the reviewer are such as to raise
one's eyebrows a bit. I've invested too much energy in both the Odyssey and
in GMk to let this get by, however, and once I get through the book, I'll
make available my own views on it to those interested (off-list, that is:
this is a reasonable place to post notices of such works but I don't think
it is the place to discuss them).

cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu