Re: 2 Corinthians 5.10

From: Bill Barton (phos@prodigy.net)
Date: Mon Jun 12 2000 - 23:49:32 EDT

Gordon Goltz wrote:

GG>I am working on the pericope - 2 Corinthians 5.1-10 - for sermon
preparation, and am wondering what to do with a section of verse 10 -
besides scratch my head. Paul seems to be using some kind of Greek
shorthand when he writes: TA DIA TOU SWMATOS PROS A EPRAXEN. Can someone
out there
help with this?>

hina: So that
hekastos: each one
komisetai: may be paid in kind
ta: things
pros ha eproxen: according to what he did
dia tou swmatos: while alive
eite agathon eite phaulon: whether good or bad

Eph. 6:8 and Col. 3:24-25 contain similar language and thought, and suggest
that "ta" in 2Cor 5:10 refers to rewards (and retribution?).

Bill Barton