[b-greek] Re: Gal. 4:5 Adoption (also Eph. 1:5)

From: Eszter (ESZTER.ANDORKA@student.kuleuven.ac.be)
Date: Mon Jul 03 2000 - 07:04:51 EDT

 Adoption is not a putting into the family by spiritual
> >birth, but a putting into the position of sons."

> I hope that any discussion of this can be carried on fundamentally in
> lexicological rather than in theological terms, i.e. in terms of word-usage.

Dear list members, dear Conrad,

I am sorry: I will not follow the suggestion of Conrad. I think the
correct understanding of adoption in the Antiquity requires some light
from the side of social sciences too. Let it be my contribution to the
question. As far as I know, nobody, no child became the child of the
father by birth in the ancient Mediterranean system. They needed to be
accepted by the father, the father declared them to be his children. (I
read a lot about it in connection with the sonship of Jesus and I can find
references, if somebody is interested.)

Eszter