[b-greek] Re: b-greek digest: July 05, 2000

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Fri Jul 07 2000 - 07:23:42 EDT

At 10:37 PM -0400 7/6/00, Jason D Weaver wrote:
>I was wondering about the aorist participles contained in verses nine
>and ten. Does the text mean I have to put off my old man in order to
>not lie? Or does it mean that I should not lie because I have put off
>the old man? (My understanding of scriputre would suggest the second,
>but I wondered if the use of the aorist participle would shine any light
>on the subject.
> IN Christ,
> Jason Weaver

I've been searching through the b-greek digest for July 5 and can find
absolutely nothing that would generate this question, nor is it clear what
passage you are speaking of. May I urge that respondents to a message read
in a digest pay attention to the relevance of the header to the message
they are sending.

But could you be referring to:

Col. 3:9,10

MH YEUDESQE EIS ALLHLOUS

APEKDUSAMENOI TON PALAION...
KAI ENDUSAMENOI TON NEON...

IF that's the passage you mean, then it seems to me that the context makes
pretty clear that the behavior exhorted in verses 8 and 9 is based on the
assumption that one has already sloughed TON PALAION and donned TO NEON;
the aorist of PERIEPATHSATE POTE in 7 and the imperfect EZHTE EN TOUTOIS
would seem to characterize these behaviors as characteristic of one's
FORMER existence.

7 EN hOIS KAI hUMEIS PERIEPATHSATE POTE, hOTE EZHTE EN TOUTOIS 8 NUNI DE
APOQESQE KAI hUMEIS TA PANTA, ORGHN, QUMON, KAKIAN, BLASFHMIAN,
AISCROLOGIAN EK TOU STOMATOS hUMWQN; 9 MH YEUDESQE EIS ALLHLOUS,
APEKDUSAMENOIN TON PALAION ANQRWPON SUN TAIS PRAXESIN AUTOU 10 KAI
ENDUSAMENOIN TON NEON TON ANAKAINOUMENOIN EIS EPIGNWSIN KAT' EIKONA TOU
KTISANTOS AUTON ...