[b-greek] RE: Rom 9:3

From: Dennis Hukel (hukel@bhiinc.com)
Date: Fri Jul 07 2000 - 15:40:34 EDT

Dear List:

As Roy Millhouse considered, the whole context of my off-line note to Mike Wine was not shown to the group. I recognize
the varied usages of the imperfect, and that here it functions similarly as in an unreal condition; but my statement
included the larger context of Romans chapters 9-11. If you go to the far end of this discourse and read 11:26 where
Paul states "all Israel will be saved", you can see how this revelation affects the sense of HUCOMHN in 9:3.

I have often heard speaches and sermons where just such a past tense ("I had believed that...", "I did wish for...", "I
was going there...") was introduced very early in the discourse and left hanging for half an hour until the speaker
finally got to the reason he had used a past tense in the first place. The reason explains why the action of what he
was doing was no longer valid in present time.

This appears clear enough to me (I've heard examples of it often enough), but no one else picked up on the
possiblility. I would like to hear what our Co-Chairs or our experts on discourse analysis think of this.

Dennis Hukel
hukel@bhiinc.com