[b-greek] Re: James 1:13 - off topic

From: Jay Adkins (JAdkins264@aol.com)
Date: Wed Jul 12 2000 - 07:49:09 EDT

On 07/12/00, "d.roe@t-online.de (Roe)" wrote:
> Mike Sangrey schrieb:
>

> > ... When the Bible was translated into
> > English the translators changed the name of this book, from Jacob
> > to James, in order to honor the King, King James.
>

> Scandalous, Mike... I like it! (And it fits with my own perception of
> his influence on that translation.)
>
> If this is true, then we shouldn't find instances of earlier English
> translations having a "James" rather than "Jacob" reading... (unless
> they, being sympathetic to the Scots, had done this honor for James I of
> Scotland -- born 1394, crowned 1424).
>
> I have no such resources other than:
>
> http://mdavies.for.ilstu.edu/polyglot/passage.htm
>
> ...which shows under "1300's" the following reading for Luke 9:28
>
> "soþli it is don aftir þese wrdis almest eiÿte daÿes, & he toc petir &
> **Jamys** & Jon, & he steÿede in to an hil þat he shulde preÿsen"
>
> But I don't know which translation this is. For the "1000's" we see a
> reading of:
>
> "þa wæs geworden æfter þam wordum nean eahta dagas: þæt he nam petrum
> and Iohannem. and **Iacobum.** and eode on anne munt: þæt he hyne
> gebæde"
>
> Perhaps Kevin W., or someone with access to the the Chadwyck-Healey
> database could help...
> http://collections.chadwyck.co.uk/
>
> David
>
> D.W. Roe
> Rheinland-Pfalz, Germany

Louw & Nida have two seperate entries on James & Jacob.

93.157: jIakwvb m : (1) the patriarch Jacob, a son of Isaac (#Matt 1:2
 ); (2) the father of jIwshvf 2 in the genealogy of Jesus (#Matt 1:15 )
 - `Jacob.'

93.158: jIavkwbo", ou m : (1) one of the twelve apostles and the son
 of Zebedee and brother of John (#Matt 4:21 ); (2) a brother of Jesus
 (#Matt 13:55 ); (3) the son of Alphaeus and one of the twelve apostles
 (#Matt 10:3 ); (4) the son of Mariva 4 (#Matt 27:56 ) and called
 `the younger' in #Mark 15:40 ; (5) the father of Judas, one of the twelve
 apostles (#Luke 6:16 ); (6) a tax collector called James rather than Levi
 (#Mark 2:14 , apparatus) - `James.' Some scholars consider 3 and 4 to
 be the same person.

Using the same resource noted above on Luke 5:10 I found the following:

Luke 5:10 and so were James and John, the sons of Zebedee, Simon's
partners. Then Jesus said to Simon, "Don't be afraid; from now on you will
catch men." 1900's English

And so [was] also James, and John, the sons of Zebedee, which were partners
with Simon. And Jesus said unto Simon, Fear not; from henceforth thou shalt
catch men. 1600's English

soþli on lych maner James & Jon þe sones of ÿebedee, þat weren felas of
simon petir, & Jesus seiþ to simon, nyle þou dreden, now fro þis tyme þou
shal be takende men 1300's English

Gelice iacobum and iohannem zebedeis suna: þa wæron simones geferan; þa
cwæþ se hælend to simone: ne ondræd þu þe; Heonon forð þu byst men gefonde;
    1000's English

Mike asked:
>Why is this James, and not Jacob?

I can't answer that, but the Greek terms do not appear to be understood as
the same.

Sola Gratia,
Jay Adkins
Always Under Grace!