[b-greek] 2 Timothy 1:7

From: Dwayne Riner (rinerd@hotmail.com)
Date: Fri Jul 28 2000 - 12:56:53 EDT

I was translating this verse today and came across Gordon Fee's
interpretation of what Paul's intent was in this passage. Fee states in
his commentary on the Pastoral Epistles (Hendrickson) that he believes that
PNEUMA in verse seven refers to the Holy Spirit instead of the lower case
spirit that is used in most translations (KJV,RSV,NIV). He states that
Paul's intent was something like this "For when God gave us his Spirit, it
was not timidity that we received, but power, love, and self-discipline (p.
227 Fee)." Do you agree that in this context PNEUMA refers to the Holy
Spirit, and if so what is the function of the genitives that follow that
modify PNEUMA (DEILIAS, DUNAMEWS, AGAPHS, etc.). If not, then what is this
spirit that we are endowed with?