[b-greek] Re: QRIAMBEUONTI as causative

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Mon Jul 31 2000 - 19:21:00 EDT

At 4:37 PM +0000 7/31/00, Mark Wilson wrote:
>Carl, in citing the Latin TRIUMPHO, quotes:
>
>------
>B. Trop., to triumph, exult, be glad, rejoice exceedingly:
>
>(b). With other objects, to triumph over, to lead in triumph; or, in gen.,
>to conquer:
>-----
>
>I am not clear on the implications of these Latin definitions.
>
>Does this mean that we can use “to triumph over” as a possible translation
>in 2 Cor. 2:14?
>
>Reversing the idea from:
>
>“But thanks be to God who always leads us in triumphal procession (as ones
>who have been conquered)” (NET Bible)
>
>to something more like:
>
>“But thanks be to God who always leads us to triumph over (our foes).”
>

>This last, revised translation is what I understood to be invalid. Do these
>definitions cited by Carl support this “invalid” transation?
>
>I think I am misunderstanding this.

Yes, I think that you are. I was offering the very definitions from Latin
TRIUMPHO in favor of the argument presented earlier by Paul Toseland, who
insisted that the starting point for an understanding of QRIAMBEUW in 2 Cor
2:14 must be the active sense, "lead in triumph" or "triumph over." But
Paul and later Rod Decker pointed to

>The reference to Paul's desperate journey from Asia to Macedonia in
>2:12-13,
>together with the, together with the following EN PANTI TOPWi, suggests
>that
>Paul does indeed have in mind the image of himself being led by God in a
>procession which continually celebrates his capture, i.e. conversion
>(cf. 2 Cor
>5:14, hH GAR AGAPH TOU CRISTOU SUNECEI hHMAS - here the verb
>has the sense 'takes us captive' - Paul is not an unwilling captive).

I'll not cite the rest of Paul's message; it deserves a careful reading; I
was simply noting that, IF QRIAMBEUW is a loan word taken from the Latin
(it only appears, so far as I can tell, in later Hellenistic texts), then
the Latin usage of TRIUMPHO is consistent with what Paul is arguing for the
sense of QRIAMBEUW in 2 Cor 2:14.