[b-greek] Re: Son of Man

From: David C. Hindley (dhindley@compuserve.com)
Date: Thu Aug 17 2000 - 08:50:52 EDT

Clayton Stirling Bartholomew said, in response to Mike Sangrey's
request for a TLG search:

>>The point I am making is that TLG is not the place where you are
going to find useful information on hO hUIOS hO ANQRWPOS<<

It may be useful just to rule out contemporary Hellenistic literature
as a source for the use of the phrase in the NT. Of course, the
surviving literature is really a sample of all that was written, and
it probably does not represent a random sample at that. So when I say
"rule out" I really mean "reduce the probability" outside of the range
for serious consideration (unless some other factor comes into play).

Also, George W. Young responded to Clayton, and said in part:

>>I think the Pseudipigrapha in 2 volumes by Charlesworth has a lot to
say on the Son of Man. There is an index with just this heading in
volume 2 (I believe). As you probably already know, there are several
instances of 'Son of Man' in 1 Enoch; indeed, much of the 'Son of Man'
eschatology within the NT is believed to have originated from 1 Enoch
(see the citation in Jude).<<

The main drawback is that the Son of Man passages of 1 Enoch, as a
title at least, are contained in the Parables section, which was *not*
found among the Qumran area finds. Even so, R. H. Charles does analyze
the correlation between the phrases that could be translated as "Son
of Man" as found in the Ethiopic 1 Enoch and the Greek NT, in
_A.P.O.T._ (vol 2, Oxford, 1913) and his translation and critical
study _The Book of Enoch_ (Oxford, 1912).

Regards,

Dave Hindley
Cleveland, Ohio, USA