[b-greek] 1 Cor 11:26 "GAR"

From: Francisco Orozco (reformer@hmo.megared.net.mx)
Date: Fri Sep 01 2000 - 22:48:42 EDT

All,

In 1 Cor 11:26, in the context of the Institution of the Lord's Supper
(vv.23-26) we read:

OSAKIS GAR AN ESQIHTE TON QANATON TOU KURIOU KATAGGELLETE ACRIS OU AN ELQH

In Rienecker & Rogers' Key the following comment is made "GAR "for."
Introduces the apostle's explanation of the Lord's command. (RP)" Now, I do
understand the basic usage of GAR, my questions are

(1) Are Robertson & Plummer (the RP in the comment) correct in seeing the
antecedent of GAR in TOUTO POIEITE of v. 24 & 25? - I gather that that is
the command of which they make reference:

24 KAI EUCARISTHSAS EKLASE KAI EIPE "LABETE, FAGETE TOUTO MOU ESTI TO SWMA
TO UPER UMWN KLWMENON **TOUTO POIEITE** EIS THN EMHN ANAMNHSIN" 25 WSAUTWS
KAI TO POTHRION META TO DEIPNHSAI LEGWN "TOUTO TO POTHRION H KAINH DIAQHKH
ESTIN EN TW EMW AIMATI **TOUTO POIEITE** OSAKIS AN PINHTE EIS THN EMHN
ANAMNHSIN

and (2) or, is "the Lord's command" the whole of vv.24,25? That is, the GAR
explains why He gave thanks for the elements, why He said what He said and
why He commanded them to do it "EIS THN EMHN ANAMNHSIN"?

Thank you,
Francisco Orozco