[b-greek] Re: 1 Cor 11:26 "GAR"

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Sat Sep 02 2000 - 08:16:33 EDT

At 7:48 PM -0700 9/1/00, Francisco Orozco wrote:
>All,
>
>In 1 Cor 11:26, in the context of the Institution of the Lord's Supper
>(vv.23-26) we read:
>
>OSAKIS GAR AN ESQIHTE TON QANATON TOU KURIOU KATAGGELLETE ACRIS OU AN ELQH
>
>In Rienecker & Rogers' Key the following comment is made "GAR "for."
>Introduces the apostle's explanation of the Lord's command. (RP)" Now, I do
>understand the basic usage of GAR, my questions are
>
>(1) Are Robertson & Plummer (the RP in the comment) correct in seeing the
>antecedent of GAR in TOUTO POIEITE of v. 24 & 25? - I gather that that is
>the command of which they make reference:
>
>24 KAI EUCARISTHSAS EKLASE KAI EIPE "LABETE, FAGETE TOUTO MOU ESTI TO SWMA
>TO UPER UMWN KLWMENON **TOUTO POIEITE** EIS THN EMHN ANAMNHSIN" 25 WSAUTWS
>KAI TO POTHRION META TO DEIPNHSAI LEGWN "TOUTO TO POTHRION H KAINH DIAQHKH
>ESTIN EN TW EMW AIMATI **TOUTO POIEITE** OSAKIS AN PINHTE EIS THN EMHN
>ANAMNHSIN

Yes, I think we have the parallel commands both ending with EIS THN EMHN
ANAMNHSIN, where EMHN functions like an objective genitive: "in order to
remember me." And then the GAR clause actually picks up BOTH actions
(hOSAKIS GAR EAN ESQIHTE TON ARTON TOUTON KAI TO POTHRION PINHTE, TON
QANATON TOU KURIOU KATAGGELLETE ACRI hOU ELQHi--so I think it is meant to
explain that a function of both actions is to proclaim the death.

>and (2) or, is "the Lord's command" the whole of vv.24,25? That is, the GAR
>explains why He gave thanks for the elements, why He said what He said and
>why He commanded them to do it "EIS THN EMHN ANAMNHSIN"?

Well, technically, I think we'd delimit the command to the spoken parts and
not include the descriptive narrative, so the command would include:
"LABETE ...EIS THN AMHN ANAMNHSIN" and then "TOUTO TO POTHRION ... ACRI hOU
ELQHi." But on the other hand, clearly both narrative and words of
institution are part of the "PARADOSIS" that Paul says he got from others,
so that there might be a tendency to refer to the entire narrative with
words of Jesus as "the Lord's command."

cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu