[b-greek] Re: racist overtones in Hermas

From: Frank W. Hughes (fwhughes@sunbeach.net)
Date: Mon Sep 04 2000 - 09:33:14 EDT

<x-html>
Wow -- the racism in that text is strong.&nbsp; I wouldn't call it an overtone.&nbsp;
How about just translating it as it is and then just saying it is racist?
But there it is about people from Crete and their behavior, whereas in
the Hermas text the comment is about black people as an inferior race.
Early Christian Literature."&nbsp; Hermas, <u>Similitude</u> 9 would be
a star text.&nbsp; I think I would also include the passage in Augustine
preferring the Greek OT over the Hebrew Bible.

</x-html>